What is KDF-55 and What Can it do for My Water?
What is it? KDF stands for Kinetic Degradation Fluxion. Quite a mouthful in any language! So basically KDF 55 granules are designed for removing or reducing chlorine and soluble heavy metals from your water. Yup, it’s as simple as that when you want a simple answer.
KDF-55 filter media is a patented, high purity alloy of copper and zinc. It eliminates contaminants from water using electrochemical oxidation-reduction, also known as redox potential.
KDF-55 uses the redox principle to effectively remove chlorine, chlorinated hydrocarbons, hydrogen sulfide, iron, copper, lead, arsenic, aluminum, mercury, and cadmium from your water.
How Does KDF-55 Filtration Work?
Atoms with a positive charge are attracted to the negative charge of the zinc, while atoms with a negative charge are attracted to the positive charge of the copper. The space between the copper and zinc is an electrolytic cell, with the water and its contents acting as the electrolyte.
When contaminants pass through, heavy metals attach to the surface of the granules. Chlorine and the disinfection by-products it creates are turned into harmless chloride ions and ozone.
Can KDF improve my shower water?
Did you know that most of your exposure to chlorine comes in the shower?
Chlorine is absorbed directly through your skin but is also inhaled as vapors because chlorine quickly turns to a gas at typical shower temperatures.
For people with asthma or other breathing conditions, another irritant like chlorine is not helpful.
Chlorine also directly attacks your skin, killing skin cells, just like chlorine kills the bacteria that cause water-borne diseases.
By the time water has reached your home, chlorine has done its job by killing any bacteria in the water source or introduced in the water system. So removing chlorine at the point of use, like in your shower, makes sense.
KDF’s redox reactions cause free chlorine to combine with alkaline minerals like calcium in your shower water. This transforms the highly reactive chlorine into harmless, water soluble chlorides, which slide right off you and go down the drain.
There’s nothing better than a refreshing shower except one thing. A refreshing shower where you know the water is clean and safe. Now’s the time to invest in a new shower head and remove some of those impurities from your water supply.
KDF-55 Process Media:
KDF-55 Process Media: Removes up to 99% of water-soluble lead, mercury, nickel, and other dissolved metals.
Controls bacteria, algae, fungi, and scale buildup in various filter systems.
Can replace costly and harmful chemical treatments.
Can be added to an existing filter tank or other media, like water softeners or carbon tanks.
Uses high-purity copper-zinc granules to remove chlorine, heavy metals, and microorganisms from water.
Extends the lifespan of carbon filters by up to 15 times, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
Increases the longevity of RO membranes and ion exchange resins.
Some Pros And Cons Of KDF-55 Water Filtration
- Effective removal of certain contaminants: KDF-55 can effectively remove or reduce contaminants such as chlorine, heavy metals, and some bacteria and fungi.
- Long-lasting: KDF-55 has a relatively long lifespan compared to some other water filtration media, meaning it may not need to be replaced as frequently.
- Low maintenance: KDF-55 requires little to no maintenance, which makes it a convenient option for many households.
- Limited effectiveness for certain contaminants: While KDF-55 can be effective for some contaminants, it may not be as effective for others, such as fluoride and certain chemicals.
- Limited filtration capacity: KDF-55 has a limited filtration capacity, which means that it may not be the best option for households with very high water usage.
- Initial cost: Depending on the specific system, KDF-55 water filtration systems may have a higher initial cost compared to other filtration options.
Overall, KDF-55 can be a viable option for many households looking to improve their water quality.
KDF-55 Process Media:
Removes up to 99% of lead, mercury, nickel, and other dissolved metals.
Used to supplement an existing filter tank.
High-purity copper-zinc granules that use redox to remove chlorine, heavy metals, and microorganisms from water.
However, it is important to consider its limitations and effectiveness for the specific contaminants you are looking to remove from your water supply.
Comments are closed.